Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 15, 2013

Photo Lovin in the STL

"When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy."- Rumi

After this past weekend, that's exactly how I feel. 

The much anticipated Nik visit came and went, but it ended up being so much more than I could have asked for. Not only did I get to share my life with my soul sister and her awesome man for 2 days, I walked away feeling rejuvenated and inspired all over again.

Nik is a beautiful soul. She's creative, she's compassionate, she challenges me and she's done nothing but show me acceptance and kindness since the day we got to know each other. I don't know how I find people like her, but I feel incredibly lucky. (I only wish these people didn't live on opposite sides of the country.) 

The joke after this weekend was "we are the same person" after an adorable comment on instagram from a girl from our photo board who admittedly confessed she thought we were the same person for awhile. But it's true, Nik and I are a lot alike in many ways. Even down to weird little nuances like not being able to drink caffeine because of a heart condition. 

We love to a fault. We are sensitive and we are our own hardest critics. We make weird noises when we get excited during photo shoots. We love to eat. (Who doesn't though?) We have solo dance parties and we don't give a rats ass who might see us in our ridiculousness. But most of all we are two creative souls who just want to find our place in the world. 

I told her after she left this weekend that I felt like it was a mini photo retreat or photo conference. She challenged me to not be confined to the box that the photography industry wants to stick us in. She inspired me to believe in myself that I can really be successful with my business and it doesn't have to be run in a particular way, because it's my passion, my business. 

Also seeing the way she and Rob interacted together, the way they share life together so beautifully, the way he supports her every wild and random decision, it gave me hope that I can have that. It wasn't even jealousy, it was just a little seed of hope that that is out there for me somewhere.

It was hard having them leave because I feel like we barely scratched the surface, but I feel like even after this weekend, we already share such a deep friendship that I really value to no end. On top of heart to hearts, and sharing our passions and goals for our business, we really just had a blast going around town and seeing some of what St. Louis had to offer. Which pretty much meant we ate a LOT of food. 

Yellow Curry from Thai House.
Mojitos and birthday shots with some of my favorites at TGI Fridays.
Pizza at Kevin's place. (That's a whole post in and of itself.)
Chai lattes from Mudhouse.
Made from scratch dessert deliciousness from Whisk.
Running amuck around the City Museum (or the enchanted playground as Rob called it)
Fried Pickles and T-Ravs at Flannerys.
A delicious birthday dinner, graciously paid for by my parents at Sanctuaria.
And a whole lot of photo love.

Nik. You rock my socks off, Soul Sister.







No comments:

Post a Comment