Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 11, 2013

eleventh.

I'm late by 5 minutes. By the time I'm done writing this, it could be 15 or 20. But oh well.

I'm pulling a picture out of the archives for today's post. One, because I love it, and two because I didn't take any pictures today.


My pops. I love this picture of us. Yes, it's from my wedding day. Still, this picture means so much to me (thank you Lisa Hessel).

I love my Dad. We are the same person, I'm obviously just a girl version of him. We stay up too late. We get sucked in to goofy YouTube channels. We love watching shows about wives who go bsc and devise secret plans to take out their husbands (my mom calls this the Death and Destruction channel). We overcommit to projects and we have a hard time saying no to people. Creativity seeps from our pores...as does sweat...hooray for dad's sweat genes. :) We're sensitive. We find solace in cracking a joke...or in dad's case cracking an extra long joke that takes a whole car ride to get to the punch line of.

This past year it was so wonderful to have those moments where I needed someone to confide in and going to my dad just made me breathe a huge sigh of relief. He gets me.

When I talk to my mom it's like talking to the rational side of myself that has a hard time making an appearance, which is why I really value my relationship with my mother, because she's good at bringing organization and common sense into my life.

My dad has a way of communicating with me as if I were talking to myself...kind of like in an "uh duh Audrey, kind of way." Not condescending, just, c'mon girl you got this.

Something he once said to me stuck with me and when I feel overwhelmed I remember his advice:

All this mess in my life seems like one big messy, tangled up ball of yarn, but it won't disappear if I try and attack the ball of yarn as a whole. I have to start with one string, tug at it, and work on that, and soon enough I'll see that my yarn ball is disappearing.

This whole post I guess was to share my one good deed of the day...which is tell your dad what it is that makes him so special to you. But there's not just one thing, there's a whole book full of wonderful things that makes my dad special.

Or rather, there's like this giant ball of yarn of great things that my dad is to me, but I can only really explain it one little string at a time. I love you Pops. Thank you for being my friend.

And I've said this before, but I want to thank you for being a shining example of a committed and loving father, and even more a committed and loving husband. Seeing the way that you and mom love each other and live life is so encouraging and something to be admired. As a kid you think "ew, gross, mom and dad love each other". But now I realize the beauty of it. You're teaching me so many things by living out your life and your marriage the way you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment