Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 13, 2013

twelfth and thirteenth.

I got behind. Instead of blogging last night I was watching the Packers lose miserably at my friends Mike and Rachel's house (sorry Mike) and dancing to Gangnam Style. Priorities people.

So I have two days of good deeds to catch up on. Two totally awesome days filled with photo shoots, dancing, friend time and laughing with family.

Let me say that I am not ashamed to bust a move in the car. My "jam" comes on and I'm in the zone. I'm also not afraid to bust a move in my home. Having all this space to myself means I can dance my way through the house and choreograph wonderful routines to awesome songs on Pandora. And my neighbors can see it all. I'm probably the coolest kid on the block.

Yesterday, my good deed was to play your favorite song as loud as you could.

I have many favorite songs currently. I have a playlist on my Spotify called "Get Pumped" because that's what I need from time to time. It's a mix of Ellie Goulding, The Lumineers, Rihanna and my current favorite Macklemore.

Which brings me to my favorite current song. Fair warning, the F bomb is dropped.

I'm pretty sure I'm about 5 moves away from choreographing a whole routine for it. And no I will not videotape that and share it publicly.

Macklemore: Thrift Shop

Tell me you wouldn't find yourself booty poppin to that song. Seriously.

On to today's good deed.

Think big and then think bigger.

When I started getting into photography almost 4 years ago then it just began as any other hobby. I was baking cakes. I was crocheting. I was painting.

Then I started discovering that photography allowed me to see the world in a different light. It was my way of telling stories. Of course, my dream is to some day do photography full time, but more than that I just want to continue to tell stories with my images. I want to live a life that captures all the beautiful stories that exist in the world.

The story of the couple who have been through decades of trials and changes and have a beautiful love for one another that could barely be captured in a photo. But to have a memory of that so their story can be told to future generations, I want to be a part of that.

I have this friend, and I hope that she doesn't mind if I share her here, but she is a beautiful human being. Nik is one of the most talented photographers I know. And the funny thing is, I've never met her in real life. Every time Nik posts a new photo I feel like I've stepped into someone's story. Whether its her own or the sweet man sitting on his front stoop doing his weekend crossword puzzle. She captures the beauty of life. She reminds me that I don't always need to strive for perfection and technical soundness in every single image. Because when is life technically sound? When is everything in focus? When is it perfection? It's not.

Life is still a beautiful story to be told, and she tells beautiful stories with her images.

So this challenge to dream, and then dream bigger, is a challenge to myself to tell stories more.

Bring my camera to more family events. Capture the sweet love between my Nana and Papa. Or the silliness of a small child scarfing down birthday cake.

Go on adventures. Walk the streets of the city. Encounter people and ask them to tell me their story.

Be more bold. Be more daring. Don't be limited by my insecurities.

My biggest dream would be to travel the world and capture stories of those who might not get the chance to have their stories told. The man in Burkina who leaves every day at 4 am to go work the rice fields to feed his family.

The woman in Cambodia who fought for her life to get out of sexual slavery and get an education and become something greater than what her society provides for her.

The child in Japan who lost his home and family in the Tsunami but continues to educate himself and care for his little sister.

Those stories are out there and I want to take my camera and tell them.

Dream bigger.








No comments:

Post a Comment